CLAUDIA JONES EDITORIAL INTERN, Summer 2022 (10 hours/week)
Toward Freedom is seeking a motivated inexperienced journalist to join our team this summer as the Claudia Jones Editorial Intern.
We named this internship after the Afro-Caribbean immigrant activist and journalist, Claudia Jones, a trailblazing woman who edited and/or launched publications that centered workers’ struggles.
TF is a 69-year-old independent U.S. publication that has documented anti-colonial struggles since its founding as a newsletter covering independence movements in 1950s Africa. TF operates as a nonprofit organization and its main offices are located in Burlington, Vermont. We are supported by large and small individual financial contributions.
TF seeks stories from the grassroots. However, unlike corporate media outlets, we dig for both the content on the ground and the proper context within which to tell stories.
THE EDITORIAL INTERN WILL:
- Learn how to edit and fact-check
- Seek out suitable articles or videos to reprint
- Work closely with the Editor to develop a feature-length article for publication by the end of the summer
- Attend monthly Editorial Committee meetings
- Interest in reporting on anti-colonial struggles and understanding their roots
- Curiosity about the editorial process
- Willingness to learn how to move long-term projects forward
- Experience reporting for a school newspaper or at an internship
- Ability to use a computer for extended periods of time
- Ease with Mac or Windows systems, Google Docs, Internet research, and digging through online and/or physical archives
- Comfort interacting over the phone or Zoom
- While the above are ideal qualifications, the ability to regularly meet the Editor in person in Washington, D.C., is a requirement
$17/hour for 10 hours each week for the months of July and August. Hours of work will be determined with the prospective intern, but would land in a range between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 p.m., Eastern Time, May 22, 2022:
- Cover letter,
- Three writing samples (articles or essays) that demonstrate your critical thinking skills, prowess for digging for the real story and storytelling ability
- Names, titles, email addresses, and phone numbers of three people in academic or work settings who can vouch for you
People of historically oppressed races, ethnicities, spiritual and political beliefs, genders, sexual orientations, and abilities are encouraged to apply. We will strive to accommodate disabilities within the requirements of this position. TF looks forward to your applications!